Beet Salad with Creamy Feta Dressing is a lovely use of your fresh beet bounty this summer. For the fresh garden beets that are the star in this recipe, I give thanks to my mother in-law, who at 76 still maintains a huge yard and garden. It was from her wonderful garden that I was able to hand pluck my beets, wishing with each pull that I had endless time and energy to use more. Throughout the season my husband and I are lucky to enjoy fresh beans, carrots and potatoes even though we only use a very small fraction of what she grows. Her other lucky recipients include neighbours, bridge club and church friends. Plus, family get together meals at her house are laced with a dose of fresh buttery peas, pickled beets and tomato wedges. I am a very lucky gal and grateful to benefit from all her hard work.
Gardening is a great hobby to have, but a tremendous amount of work as it is with her large garden. So while I enjoy this Beet Salad with Creamy Feta Dressing I recognize her efforts and the importance of maintaining a residential garden no matter how big or small. I believe the skills and knowledge to grow a successful garden are not passed down by generation as they once were and that tradition is slowly slipping away. I suppose we have Google and You Tube now to help us out, but something tells me it’s not the same as having your parent or grandparent help you position the pitch fork “just right” underneath that hill of potatoes, show you why you need wire mesh for the peas or sending you out to cover up the tomatoes. So hats off to all those who still maintain their own fruit and vegetable gardens and take the time to share their knowledge and their bounty!
Recipe source for Beet Salad with Creamy Feta Dressing: Compelled To Cook
- 1 pound beets trimmed of leaves to 1-2 inches from base I used cylindra beets (elongated beets)
- 4 cups mixed baby greens
- 1/4 cup shelled roasted pistachios coarsely chopped
- 1/2 medium granny smith apple
- 100 grams plain greek yogurt 1 single serving size
- 60 grams feta cheese
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp drained prepared horseradish
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill plus more for garnish
- sprinkle salt and pepper
- Cook beets in lightly salted simmering water until fork tender, approximately 15-18 minutes depending on size. Prepare dressing while beets are cooking. Drain and cool with cold running water. Once cool to the touch, trim off top and bottom and peel off skin, which should remove easily. Place beets onto a paper towel lined plate to absorb any run off beet juice. Cut beets into large bite size chunks.
- Arrange approximately 2 cups of mixed greens onto plate. Cut apple half in half and remove core. Slice into 1/4" slices and spread half of the apple over mixed greens. Top with half the beets and sprinkle with 2 tbsp of pistachios. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with additional fresh dill fronds. Season with freshly cracked pepper and sea salt if desired. Serve immediately.
- Using a blender or mini food processor, blend together all ingredients except feta until combined and smooth. Add feta and pulse a few times to combine yet retain some feta texture. Keep chilled until ready to use.
-I used the elongated cylindra beets which cook quickly and peel easily. Globe style beets can be used, just adjust cooking time according to size of beet.
-This recipe makes about 2/3 cup of dressing which may be more than you need, however it is difficult to blend smaller amounts. Use any extra on sweet potato fries or lamb burgers.
-This recipe makes 4 starter size salads if desired.
That sounds delicious! I’m a huge beet lover. Pinned! 🙂