Let yourself be seduced by your dinner! Braised Fennel Chicken is an aromatic, warming, and silky dish that is inviting and succulent. Chicken braised with cream, fennel, wine and stock until just starting to fall of the bone is why this dish begs to be made. Maybe not your everyday weeknight meal, but certainly perfect for the weekend. Enjoy a glass of wine and let the braise work its magic and fill the house with a subtle savoury aroma.
While raw fennel is crisp and bright with an anise taste, braised fennel is mild and tender with just a hint of anise. Simmered with all the good things like wine and cream it’s down right delicious! Cooking the fennel softens the anise taste and the end result is mild and rich.
I love this recipe because the chicken meat just falls off the bone and the sauce is luscious and creamy while the fennel adds a little texture. The reality is….I could eat this every night of the week. My waistline however will caution me otherwise!
Recipe Source: Compelled To Cook
- 8 pieces skin on chicken pieces drumsticks and/or thighs
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bulb fennel cored and thickly sliced
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp canola oil for frying
- salt and pepper
- fennel fronds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. In a large skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Once hot add chicken pieces and sear on all sides until nicely browned, approximately 12 minutes. Remove chicken and cover with foil. Remove all but 2 tbsp of oil from skillet. Add fennel and garlic and sauté 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Deglaze pan by adding wine and scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits. Allow to reduce for 2 minutes. Stir in mustard, stock and cream and reduce for an additional 2 minutes. Return chicken to the pan, cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from pan to a serving dish and cover. Over medium high heat reduce sauce for about 3 minutes until thickened. Spoon sauce with the fennel over chicken. Garnish with fennel fronds and serve immediately.