Caramel Irish Coffee
Who knew Irish Coffee had its own day? According to Foodimentary, January 25th is National Irish Coffee Day. So let’s celebrate with a delicious and warming Caramel Irish Coffee. It is a tasty twist on the original Irish Coffee, which is sweetened with sugar. The caramel not only adds the required sweetness but depth of flavour. I recommend using homemade caramel sauce, but you can use store-bought if using a quality product. It is also important to make good quality coffee for this recipe as it is the major component. I used a medium roast Colombian coffee. You can use your favourite, it just needs to be robust, fresh and hot!! If you like an after-dinner sipper, this cocktail encompasses dessert as well in my opinion. Sweet and creamy with a punch of whiskey and coffee. It is delicious, enjoy!
Author: Compelled to Cook
- 1 1/2 ounces Irish Whiskey I used Jameson
- 1 heaping tbsp caramel sauce plus more for top
- 6 ounces robust, hot coffee
- as needed lightly whipped heavy cream
- Add hot water to an 8 ounce or larger coffee mug and allow to sit and warm mug while proceeding.
- Make coffee and whip 1/4-1/3 cup of heavy cream until soft peaks form or use a whipped cream dispenser.
- Pour the water out of the mug and add Irish whiskey and caramel, stir to combine. Pour in coffee and stir. Top with whipped cream and garnish with additional caramel sauce as desired.