Cardamom Orange Yogurt Cake is a one bowl beauty with lovely orange flavour, spiced with cardamom and moistened with yogurt. The orange glaze on top is an extra splash of flavour and moisture to an already delicious flavourful cake.
The cake on its own is splendid but I do admit to loving it even more with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream. It mellows and marries the vibrant orange taste, kinda like the ice cream in a creamsicle. So feel free to glam it up a little with either the whipped cream or even vanilla ice cream. While I love this Cardamom Orange Yogurt Cake for its one bowl simplicity, I can’t help but love the combination of orange and cardamom. It’s an addictive citrus flavour that’s just a bit exotic. I used this combination originally in a sugar cookie with tasty results but felt the cookie just didn’t take great pictures due to the inherent pale colour of the sugar cookie. So I turned the flavour profile into a cake with great results. It’s simple and delicious and I do hope you give a try. Enjoy!
Recipe source for Cardamom Orange Yogurt Cake: Compelled To Cook
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tbsp Grand Marnier
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp Grand Marnier
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease and line with parchment a 9" x 3" round cake pan.
- Over a sheet of parchment paper, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer beat together sugar, eggs and orange zest until light, creamy and triple in volume, approximately 3-4 minutes. Lower speed and slowly add butter to incorporate. Continue adding yogurt, Grand Marnier and cardamom. Add half the sifted flour mixture and half the orange juice, beating until combined. Add remaining flour and orange juice beating until smooth, approximately 30 seconds. Pour into prepared pan and smooth out top. Bake for 37-40 minutes or when a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- While cake is hot brush with orange syrup allowing syrup to be absorbed before brushing on more. Allow cake to cool completely on a wire rack. When cool loosen edges and remove from pan and cut into wedges. Serve with sweetened whipped cream or ice cream.
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking often. Once at a boil, allow to boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and brush onto cake.