Cheddar Jalapeño Muffins
Cheesy and spicy with crispy, golden edges make these tender Cheddar Jalapeño Muffins one of my favourites. I have made them more times than I can remember because I like them that much. They are the perfect accompaniment to chili, stew, tomato soup or green salad and so good about ten minutes out of the oven. Just long enough for them to cool down enough to handle but are still warm on the inside and crispy on the outside.
This lovely recipe originates with one of my favourite food bloggers, Joy the Baker. Joy notes that you can bake these muffins with liners in the muffin tins. You certainly can, but trust me, you do not want to! I find it is best to generously butter non-stick muffin tins to achieve a wonderfully golden muffin bottom that is crispy and chewy when eaten while still slightly warm. They will pop right out of the muffin tins too. When using liners, the muffins need to cool completely before peeling away the liner, otherwise, they will stick and you’ll miss out on the best part. In a nutshell, it’s lots of butter, no liners!!
Do not be skimpy on the cheese!! It will seem like a lot, and the batter will be thick with an abundance of cheese, but the result is a gloriously cheesy muffin. It is also important not to over mix the batter. This is a quick bread and does not require gluten development, so only mix the wet and dry ingredients until they are combined. The batter won’t be completely smooth and that’s okay. The cheese needs to be folded in last so it doesn’t clog up the whisk and make everything gummy. It’s a quick and easy recipe that freezes well too. Simply store cooled muffins in an airtight container or bag for up to a month. Allow to thaw and warm gently in the oven or microwave. They don’t retain their crisp exterior, but they’re still delicious. Enjoy!
Author: Compelled to Cook
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted plus more for pan
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese about 8 ounces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped drained pickled jalapeños plus more for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350°F and generously butter a 12 cup non-stick muffin tin.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg, add the milk and melted butter and continue to whisk to fully combine. Stir in jalapeños.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet stirring until just combined. Fold in cheese until evenly distributed in the batter.
- Scoop batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan. Gently loosen the muffin tops if any have slightly stuck and pluck out the muffins placing them on a wire rack to cool further.