Compelled to make your own ice cream but don’t have an ice cream maker? Cherry and Chocolate Semifreddo to the rescue. Rich and creamy like ice cream but just a little more grown up. Cut in slices from loaf form or in this case ramekin shape, this dessert is a show stopper!
Semifreddo means half frozen and in a nutshell is like frozen mousse….what’s not to love about that! Some recipes use egg whites for volume while others use whipped cream, either way it’s a fabulous dessert.
In my opinion semifreddo desserts lack the attention they deserve because even though it’s not ice cream the similarity provides you with the same satisfaction. Semifreddo’s are also adaptable to most flavours found in ice cream, no machine is required and you can present it as a whole unit or individually. If you’ve never tried a semifreddo I really recommend adding it to your list, you won’t be disappointed. And it’s summer, so how can you go wrong with something so cool, creamy and studded with cherries?
This recipe combines cherries and chocolate…. chocolate ganache to be specific and the result is a creamy indulgent treat loaded with the classic combination of cherries and chocolate. No ice cream maker? No excuse now!
- 5 ounces semi sweet chocolate roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp corn syrup
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Kirsch Liquor
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups cherries pitted and roughly chopped
- Place chopped chocolate in a small bowl. Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan or microwave until hot. Pour cream over chocolate and let stand 5 minutes. Stir until incorporated and smooth. Stir in corn syrup. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together sugar, egg yolks, water and Kirsch. Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water making sure the bottom of the bowl does not come in contact with the water. Whisk constantly over medium heat until mixture reaches 170℉. Remove from heat and beat with an electric mixer until mixture is cool and thick. Set aside.
- Whip heavy cream until soft peaks form, gently fold in sugar&egg mixture until combined. Add cherries and fold gently to combine being careful not to deflate mixture.
- Line 10 6 ounce ramekins with plastic wrap and divide mixture evenly between the ramekins. Spoon a scant 1 1/2 Tbsp of liquid ganache onto mixture and swirl into mixture with a knife or teaspoon handle. Save remaining ganache for serving.
- Freeze individual ramekins for at least 8 hours. To serve, tug on plastic wrap to loosen from ramekin, invert onto serving plate and remove plastic wrap. Drizzle with ganache, serve immediately.
To help cool the egg yolk mixture, place the bowl on a bed of ice cubes while beating with an electric mixer.
If tugging on plastic wrap does not loosen the semifreddo from the ramekin, set ramekin in a shallow dish of hot water for 10-20 seconds to loosen.
Recipe Source: Compelled To Cook