Did you ever eat celery with peanut butter as a kid? Chicken and Celery Peanut Noodles combines this great flavour combination with a touch of spice, tender chicken, and saucy noodles. It’s a quick and delicious weeknight meal that the whole family will enjoy!
You’ll love how the peanut butter virtually creates a creamy sauce on its own as it warms and coats the noodles and everything else that’s all tangled up in them. Along with the peanuts, the celery brings its inherent crunch to the dish, enhancing its texture and flavour. Chicken and Celery Peanut Noodles is a fantastic combination of flavours and textures but you don’t have to stop there. Celery is also great stir fried with beef, so next time you grab the wok be sure to reach for that crisp bundle of fresh celery to add to your veggie mix.
Recipe source for Chicken and Celery Peanut Noodles: Compelled To Cook
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- as needed canola oil
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1-2 tsp chili paste depending on preference
- 12 ounces fresh Chinese noodles
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups celery cut into 1" diagonal slices
- 1 cup red pepper cut into 1/4" slices
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts coarsely chopped, divided
- 1/2 cup green onion cut into 1/2" diagonal slices, divided
- Cutting against the grain, slice chicken breast into thin strips. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine vinegar and chill paste.
- Cook noodles as per package directions and allow to drain in colander while proceeding.
- Heat approximately 1 tbsp of oil over high heat in a wok or large skillet with sides. Once hot add half the chicken and cook, stirring once or twice for 3-5 minutes until chicken is no longer pink and starts to brown. Remove to a plate and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and sauté garlic for 1 minute, stirring often. Add chicken broth and celery. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes until most of the broth has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Stir in red peppers and sauté for 1 minute. Reduce heat and stir in peanut sauce, chicken, noodles, half of the peanuts and half of the green onion. Toss to combine, adding a little more chicken broth if needed. Divide among serving dishes and top with peanuts and green onion. Serve immediately.
I used thick noodles for this recipe, but feel free to use your favourite size. Fresh Chinese noodles can be found in the produce section of most supermarkets.