Today I am compelled to step up and out of the weeknight dinner rut and spice up my menu with these Chipotle Chicken Tacos with Avocado Cream. I’m as guilty as the next for falling into a cooking rut. I regularly make the same things because there easy, familiar and sometimes a family favourite. When it comes to tacos I find myself always making taco seasoned ground beef wrapped in a flour tortilla with cheese, lettuce, sour cream…you know, the usual toppings. At times when eating out, I’d live it up a little and go for the fish tacos (which are a favourite) but after having these Chipotle Chicken Tacos with Avocado Cream I realized just how boring my taco existence was.
To start, I added smokey chipotle spiciness to the chicken with an easy rub. The rub can be altered to satisfy the level of heat you actually like. For me it was about half of a canned chipotle pepper with the seeds removed. For you it may be 2 whole with more of the adobo sauce. Really, put in all the heat you can handle. Once the meat is enveloped in the taco the heat blends with the cool lettuce, tomatoes and avocado. So spice it up!
The Avocado Cream is creamy and refreshing and a snap to put together, and trust me, you’ll want to smear it on most everything! I used my mini Kitchen Aid chopper to blend the ingredients but you can also use a blender, food processor or mortar and pestle for a chunkier version. Use what you have and what’s convenient for you. Once the Avocado Cream is blended, cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface to help prevent browning and refrigerate until ready to use. Upon taco assembly lather the Avocado Cream generously onto your taco. I know I’ll be adding these delicious tacos to my regular rotation. Enjoy!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 canned chipotle pepper with seeds removed
- 1 lime juiced
- 4-6 tortilla shells
- Layer the chicken breast between sheets of plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin to an even thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- In a small bowl combine oil, spices, adobo sauce and lime juice. Finely chop canned chipotle pepper and add to spice mixture. Stir mixture to create a paste and rub onto both sides of the chicken breasts. Cover, refrigerate until ready to use. Can be done up to 6 hours ahead.
- When ready to assemble tacos, heat grill to medium high and cook chicken breast for 6-8 minutes per side, depending on how thin you pounded them. Remove from grill, cover with tin foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Cut avocados in half and remove the stone. Scoop out flesh into a food processor, mini chopper or blender. Add all remaining ingredients except cilantro and blend until desired consistency. Stir in chopped cilantro, adjust salt seasoning as desired.
Recipe adapted from: Easy All Purpose Chipotle Chicken, carlsbadcravings.com and Avocado Cilantro Crema, turningbacktheclock.com