As much as it pains me to turn my oven on in the summer, giving off unnecessary heat when the goal is to keep the house cool, I just can’t stop baking for months. I ask myself who could? I guess as a food blogger the thought astonishes me and as I write this I’m shaking my head and thinking, “nope, it can’t be done”. Lucky for both you and me that I feel this way, because out of the heat rises the most amazing Chocolate Cherry Loaf.
I’m a big fan of loaves! Not because they’re moist, tender, buttery, filled with nuts or chocolate, it’s because they’re simple, versatile and generally quite easy to prepare. I also like the ability to cut the loaf into thick slices, wrap individually and grab and go right from the freezer. My husband Mark calls them “loafcicles” and sometimes can’t wait long enough to let it thaw completely before munching away. You could say he’s got a bit of a sweet tooth. That makes this Chocolate Cherry Loaf right up his alley. It’s a little indulgent with cream cheese, chunky cherry sauce and chocolate chips, and a small slice is all you need to battle that sweet craving. You’ll find Chocolate Cherry Loaf a yummy change from banana or lemon and worth turning your oven on for. Enjoy!
Recipe source for Chocolate Cherry Loaf: Inspired by Roti n’ Rice Raspberry Swirl Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups frozen cherries thawed and sliced
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Combine cherries and sugar in a small sauce pan and heat to a simmer over medium heat. Stir water and cornstarch together in a small bowl and add to cherries, stirring constantly until combine and mixture returns to a full simmer. Remove from heat and allow to cool to slightly warm or room temperature. Continue with recipe as cherries cool.
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and prepare a 9"x5"x3"loaf pan by spraying with non stick spray or lightly greasing with butter and lining with parchment that overhangs the long edges.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt until combined.
- Beat together butter, cream cheese and sugar until smooth, scraping the bowl once or twice. Add eggs one at a time, scraping bowl and beating after each until incorporated. Add vanilla and mix to combine. Pour in half the milk and half the flour and beat until just combined. Repeat with remaining milk and flour. Scrape the bowl and add chocolate chips and mix to combine.
- Pour half the batter into prepared pan and spread smooth. Top with half the cherry sauce, remaining batter and cherry sauce again on the top. Using a table knife, swirl batter in a figure eight pattern two or three times to create nice swirls of cherry sauce. No need to over swirl.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in pan prior to lifting out and slicing.