Think of Chocolate Hazelnut Affogato as an adult ice cream float. Instead of fizzy pop poured over ice cream, you have hot bold espresso laced with Frangelico liqueur. Gently melting and swirling with chocolate ice cream, whipped cream and toasted hazelnuts. Incredibly easy and oh so good.
The term Affogato is Italian for “drowned” whereby one drowns their ice cream with hot espresso. There are many variations out there and it’s fun to be creative by using flavoured espressos, other flavours of gelato or ice cream and of course different liqueurs. I personally love the combination of chocolate and coffee, so this Chocolate Hazelnut Affogato was exactly what I was craving.
This recipe also gave me cause to dust off my espresso machine which probably hadn’t been used for 6 years!! I know, it’s a shame. Call it life, laziness, or forgetfulness there’s little excuse not to have it out and ready for amazing coffee. My husband and I used to spend quality time together, making and enjoying frothy milk topped coffee swirled with flavoured syrup and sometimes caramel. I miss those days a lot! So now that my espresso maker is polished, primed and supplies purchased my excitement is renewed and serious coffee drinking can begin.
Recipe adapted slightly from Dessert for Two, Hazelnut Moch Affogato
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 4 shots espresso warm
- 1 ounce Frangelico liqueur
- 4 generous scoops chocolate ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350℉. On a small baking sheet or pie plate, spread hazelnuts in a single layer and toast for 10-13 minutes until starting to turn golden. Allow to cool to room temperature and coarsely chop.
- Combine heavy cream and icing sugar and whip until soft peaks form. Keep chilled until ready to use.
- Brew 4 shots of espresso or use espresso powder as per product instructions. Combine with Frangelico liqueur.
- Place a scoop of ice cream in individual serving dishes or glasses. Pour 1/4 of espresso/liqueur into each dish. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with chopped hazelnuts. Serve immediately.
So yummy! Thanks for sharing 🙂
My pleasure, it’s delicious!?