Couscous with Peas and Peanuts is a quick and easy side dish hinted with curry and speckled with peas and peanuts. You’ll love it for its simplicity but will make it again because of the flavour. The peanuts add just the right amount of crunch and the peas and cilantro make it fresh and bright.
You can never really have enough good side dishes in your arsenal and a little variety helps make dinner more exciting. So let the plain rice stay in the shadows and put a little something different on the table. Great with grilled or pan fried meats and a lovely use of fresh peas if you’re lucky enough to have them.
Recipe Source for Couscous with Peas and Peanuts: Compelled To Cook
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter use margarine if vegetarian
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 1 3/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh peas see note
- 3/4 tsp medium curry powder or to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups dry couscous
- 1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- In a medium pot sauté onions in butter over medium heat until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add fresh peas, cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Stir in curry powder, salt, pepper, couscous and peanuts. Cover and remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and stir in cilantro. Serve immediately.
If using frozen peas, add peas once broth is boiling, but do not continue to cook. Allow broth to return to a boil and continue with recipe.
Makes approximately 6 cups.