Today I am compelled to reach for something to go with my morning coffee. If you’re like me, at times you reach for the doughnuts, muffins or cookies. Yes, cookies for breakfast! We are only human right? I am certainly guilty of all three depending on the day. But today I reach for something a little healthier but by no means less delicious.
As with any quick bread, it is important not to over mix the batter, just mix until evenly incorporated. Too much mixing will overwork the gluten and create a tougher loaf.
This slightly crunchy Multigrain Loaf with Honey Butter has all the allure of other sweet baked goods but contains whole wheat flour and whole grain cereal while still remaining quite light in texture. What makes this loaf special is the honey butter. Nothing more than two ingredients but what a fantastic pairing with the nutty and earthy loaf. I do believe you’ll want to pass over the muffins and doughnuts and grab a piece of this loaf to enjoy with your morning coffee or tea.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cooked whole grain cereal see note
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350℉. In a medium bowl whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together brown sugar and oil. Add ones egg at time, whisking after each. Add cooked whole grain cereal, buttermilk and vanilla, whisk until well mixed.
- Add dry ingredients to wet all at once. Whisk until just combined but completely incorporated. Pour mixture into a 9"x5"x3" loaf pan sprayed with non stick spray. Sprinkle poppy seeds and sesame seeds evenly on top. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before removing from pan.
- Beat butter by hand in a medium bowl until soft and pliable. Add honey and mix to incorporate.
- Cut loaf into thick slices and serve with honey butter.
Cook whole grain cereal such as Red River as per package directions. Allow to cool completely and measure out 1/2 cup. I will generally cook a pot, cool, divide, wrap and freeze for use in this loaf and other baked goods.
Recipe Source: Compelled To Cook