Well, we’re already into the first month of the new year and for many the new year brings the resolution to eat better, get more exercise etc. So for those looking for a healthy low fat, yet satisfying lunch option I’ve got a lovely Edamame and Chickpea Sandwich Filling. It’s made with protein packed edamame and chickpeas, which along with the fibre they provide, helps to keep you feeling full and satiated. Avocado gives it a bit of creaminess to help hold it all together and provides good monounsaturated fats, vitamins and minerals. Avocados are also quite high in fibre and contain little sugar, again helping to keep you feeling full. A little feta cheese, garlic and cumin round it out with flavour and salt. It’s a darn tasty sandwich filling that makes a great lunch and will keep for several days well covered in the fridge. Although I enjoy my Edamame and Chickpea Sandwich Filling on multigrain bread, it’s also great stuffed in a tomato or eaten on sliced cucumbers if you’re wanting to cut out the bread all together. So let the healthy eating begin!
I have to honestly say I didn’t have a new year’s resolution this year. Certainly not that I couldn’t have used one, like taking better photographs or drinking less wine. There’s always something to improve upon and goals are important. My real problem was time, no time to reflect and decide what goal was most desired and no time to process a thoughtful plan to put into action. Time…..we never have enough it seems. So in hindsight while I write this post, I believe time will be my focus for the year ahead, and maybe a little less wine too, but I fear I have little resolve for that my friends!
Recipe source for Edamame and Chickpea Sandwich Filling: Compelled To Cook
- 3/4 cup shelled edamame see note
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 1/2 each avocado pitted & peeled
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 large lime juiced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- to taste pepper
- as needed extra virgin olive oil
- as needed pea shoots or sprouts
- as needed fresh cilantro
- In a food processor combine 1/2 cup edamame, 1/2 cup chickpeas, avocado, feta cheese, garlic, lime juice, cumin, salt, and pepper and process until almost smooth. Add remaining 1/4 cup of edamame and chickpeas and pulse a few times to combine, leaving a chunky texture.
- Spread filling thickly onto desired bread and top with pea shoots and fresh cilantro. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and freshly cracked sea salt. Top with bread.
I used a 300g bag of frozen edamame to yield 3/4 cup shelled edamame. Cook edamame as per package directions. Submerge in cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain and shell.
Should you prefer a smoother texture, process all the edamame and chickpeas together in the first blend.
Yields approximately 2 cups of filling which will make 4-6 sandwiches.