This Frozen Yogurt Strawberry Cake is a cool and creamy show stopper with lovely strawberry flavour. The pretzel crust adds a nice crunch and a hint of salty goodness. I love to serve it with extra macerated strawberries for even more wonderful flavour. It’s absolutely perfect for summer.
Fresh strawberries are deepened in flavour by roasting them to purge any excess moisture. They’re then pureed with sugar and will provide the fantastic strawberry taste. Cream cheese and vanilla yogurt are whipped up light and creamy and combined with the pureed strawberries. Heavy cream is whipped to stiff peaks and folded into the cream cheese mixture. The batter is then poured and spread onto the cooled crust and then allowed to freeze for at least 6 hours.
It’s important to note that the quicker the cake freezes, the smaller the ice crystals will be. The smaller the ice crystals, the smoother the texture. Be sure to keep all elements cold until ready to mix and freeze immediately in a draft-free freezer. In other words, don’t be opening and closing your freezer door while the cake sets….if possible.
It’s a tall 10” cake that will feed plenty. Be sure to let the cake sit at room temperature for at least 20 minutes to allow it to soften slightly for slicing. It’s a solid cake that takes some time to thaw into a melty mess, so there’s no need to panic if you don’t get to slicing it for another 10 minutes. In other words, you have some wiggle room. Enjoy!
Looking for more summer desserts?
- 5 ounces mini twist pretzels about 3 cups
- 2/3 cup melted unstalted butter 150g
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 24 ounces fresh strawberries 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a food processor, blend pretzels and sugar until you have a fine crumb. Add melted butter and pulse until combined.
- Press crumbs evenly into a 10" springform pan. Bake for 6 minutes, remove and allow to cool to room temperature while preparing the filling.
- Increase oven to 400°F.
- Hull strawberries and cut in quarters. Lay in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Flip strawberries and continue to roast for 20 minutes. Strawberries will be soft and jammy. Allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Beat in yogurt, 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar and vanilla. Keep chilled until ready to proceed.
- Whip heavy cream and the remaining 1/4 cup of powdered sugar until stiff. Keep chilled until ready to proceed.
- Once strawberries have cooled, combine with the granulated sugar in a food processor or blender and blend until pureed and combined.
- Stir strawberry mixture into the cream cheese/yogurt mixture until completed combined. Fold in whipped cream and pour over cooled pretzel crust. Smooth out top and place in freezer for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove from freezer and remove outer springform ring at least 20 minutes prior to serving. Cut into wedges and serve garnished with additional whipped cream and fresh macerated strawberries if desired.
-strawberries can be roasted and chilled one day ahead.
-frozen cake well covered will keep for up to a month in the freezer.