For those who don’t know, another passion of mine is overland travel, camping and the combination of both in our Jeep. My husband and I are self contained and have everything we need in the confines of a Jeep Rubicon with a roof top tent. We have hot water, power, fridge/freezer and the necessities required to live well for days when in the middle of nowhere. It’s quite amazing how much you can pack into a jeep with a little planning and the right gear, not to mention a pretty smart husband. We have the ability to go places that RV’s just can’t, which allows us to head into the hills for solitude and relaxation. It’s a shame our Canadian summers are so very short and there aren’t enough vacation days to do all that we want most years. Most of the time during the summer months it’s weekend getaways to the Rocky Mountain foothills and in the fall a longer trip to Canyonlands Utah. Grilled Lamb Koftas is Compelled To Cook’s first outdoor post and the weekend’s meal on the grill. Showing you that camping, whether it be tenting, or RVing does not mean a sacrifice on great food.
For a weekend getaway Grilled Lamb Koftas are perfect. Easy to mix together and take little time to grill to perfection. No need to worry about making side dishes and salads, just stuff the juicy lamb koftas into a pita and top with your favourite sprouts, lettuce, onions and plenty of Minted Yogurt Sauce. I’ve used a combination of ground beef and ground lamb and added greek yogurt and chickpeas to the meat to add moisture and texture. They’re nicely spiced but not overpowering, making them great for the whole family. Enjoy!
Recipe source for Grilled Lamb Koftas: Compelled to Cook
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 clove minced garlic
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup coarsely chopped canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 2 tsp dried
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tsps kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp course black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Stir together all ingredients and chill until ready to use.
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and gently mix with your hands until well combined but not overworked. Cover and chill for up to one day in advance. Shape approximately 2 1/2 ounces of meat mixture into a 3" long log, making 13-15 in total. Thread onto skewers and chill until ready to grill.
- Preheat heat grill to medium and grill lamb skewers for approximately 12 minutes turning to brown all sides. Meat should no longer be pink and the internal temperature should reach a minimum 160℉. Split pitas and fill with 2 koftas. Top with Minted Yogurt Sauce and desired toppings such as lettuce, sprouts, and onions.
Recipe makes approximately 35 ounces of mixture and can be made into burger patties as well. I used metal skewers, however if using wooden skewers be sure to soak in water according to directions prior to use.