Skillet Chicken and Orzo
- 1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil divided
- 6 medium chicken thighs
- 1 8 ounce pkg white mushrooms cleaned and thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium shallot thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 6 ounces orzo pasta
- 4 ounces garden vegetable cream cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a cast iron or oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. When the oil is hot add chicken thighs and cook about 5-6 minutes per side until skin browned. Remove to a plate.
- Using the same skillet, heat the remaining oil until hot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and allow to cook without stirring until bottoms are golden and moisture is starting to evaporate. Once they have browned give them a stir and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and shallots and cook for 3-5 minutes until starting to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine and allow to reduce for about 3 minutes. Stir in broth, orzo, cream cheese, herbs, salt and pepper. Once the cream cheese is fully incorporated add the chicken back to the pan with the skin side up. Push chicken down into pasta as far as they will go. Cover with a lid or tin foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn oven to broil. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and broil for 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 2 minutes prior to serving.
I personally like the garden vegetable cream cheese, however you may also like the garlic cream cheese.