Crispy Chicken Sliders with Wasabi Slaw
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise I used Hellman's
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp wasabi or to taste
- generous pinch salt and pepper
- 2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage packed
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion 1/4"slice
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast about 2 small
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp cold water
- canola oil as needed
- 1 1/2 cups course bread crumbs use Panko or homemade
- 8 each slider buns
- as needed salted butter
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, wasabi, salt and pepper. Cover and keep chilled until ready to use.
- When ready to assemble sliders, toss cabbage, green onion and grated carrot with dressing.
- Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally and then cut each half into half again, getting 4 pieces (each being about 1.5 ounces) out of each breast. Place the chicken pieces between two pieces of parchment or wax paper and pound with a rolling pin or flat side of a mallet to 1/4" thick.
- Using 3 shallow bowls, to the first, add the flour, salt and pepper and whisk to combine. To the second, add eggs and water and whisk to combine. To the third, add the bread crumbs.
- Add several chicken pieces to the flour bowl and flip around to coat. Shake off excess and add pieces to egg bowl. Using a fork, flip to coat with egg and place in bread crumbs, turning each piece and patting gently to adhere crumbs. Place breaded portions onto a clean plate or wire rack and repeat breading procedure until all pieces are done.
- Add enough canola oil to a large skillet to just start to cover the bottom. Heat over medium high until hot. Add breaded chicken to pan, being careful not to overcrowd pan. Cook for approximately 2 minutes per side until golden. Remove from pan to a paper towel lined tray to dab off any excess grease and then to a clean plate. Keep warm in a low 225℉ oven while remaining cutlets are fried. Wipe out pan with a paper towel to remove excess crumbs that may start to burn prior to frying more cutlets.
- Slice slider buns in half and brush lightly with butter. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel and place slider buns buttered side down in pan and heat over medium until starting to brown and become warm. About 2 minutes.
- To each slider bun, add a chicken cutlet and top with a generous amount of wasabi slaw. Secure each slider with a long toothpick if desired and serve immediately.