Toasted Bran Muffins
- 2 cups (125g) wheat bran
- 1 1/2 cups dark raisins
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup (65g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (35g) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (105g) packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- zest of one orange
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Spread wheat bran out on a large baking sheet and toast in oven for 6-8 minutes turning once.
- While wheat bran is toasting and cooling, cook 1 cup of raisins and 1/2 cup of water in a small saucepan over medium heat until soft and the water has been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Puree raisins until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together wheat bran, flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together oil and brown sugar. Add egg and egg white and whisk to combine. Stir in pureed raisins, remaining 3/4 cup water, buttermilk, orange juice and orange zest.
- Add dry ingredients and stir just to combine. Stir in 1/2 cup of raisins. Scoop evenly into muffin cups, mounding the batter.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove and allow to cool for 5-7 minutes before removing muffins from tin to cooling rack.
-it is highly recommended to weigh dry ingredients.
-when scooping the batter, the muffin cups will be very full.
-if you don't want whole raisins in the final muffin, cook all the raisins with 3/4 cup of water and blend, continue with recipe adding only 1/2 cup additional water (for 1 1/4 cup total) and omit raisins at the end.