Couscous with Peas and Peanuts
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter use margarine if vegetarian
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 1 3/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh peas see note
- 3/4 tsp medium curry powder or to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups dry couscous
- 1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- In a medium pot sauté onions in butter over medium heat until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add fresh peas, cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Stir in curry powder, salt, pepper, couscous and peanuts. Cover and remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and stir in cilantro. Serve immediately.
If using frozen peas, add peas once broth is boiling, but do not continue to cook. Allow broth to return to a boil and continue with recipe.
Makes approximately 6 cups.