Cheesy Chicken Vegetable Casserole
- 16 ounces fresh trimmed cauliflower about 1 small head
- 10 ounces fresh trimmed broccoli
- 1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 6 medium boneless, skinless chicken thighs 19-20 ounces
- 8 ounces mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup I used Campbell's
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp medium curry powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 cups cheddar cheese about 7 ounces
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a simmer. Add cauliflower and broccoli and simmer until just tender 5-6 minutes. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Allow to drain well, see note.
- Meanwhile heat a large skillet over medium and add oil. When oil is hot add chicken thighs, searing and cooking 4-5 minutes per side until just cooked. Remove to a plate and set aside. To the same skillet add mushrooms and cook until browned and most of the moisture has evaporated, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- In a large bowl whisk together mushroom soup, mayonnaise, curry powder, onion powder, pepper and lemon juice.
- Cut cook chicken into large strips and add to mushroom soup mixture along with mushrooms, vegetables and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese. Stir gently to combine. Spread into a lightly greased casserole dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes until bubbling.
-I find rolling drained vegetables in a clean kitchen towel removes more moisture.
-A great low carb dinner option on its own, but also wonderful with rice, mashed potatoes, quinoa or crusty bread.