Nut Butter Granola Bars
- 2 cups raw mixed nuts such as almonds, pecans, cashews
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds pepitas
- 3 tbsp oil extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil
- 2 cups large flake oatmeal divided
- 1 1/4 cups dried fruit such as currants, cherries, blueberries
- 3/4 cup natural chunky peanut butter or other nut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange nuts and pumpkin seeds on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 10-12 minutes until golden, stirring once. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, reduce the oven to 300°F. Spray a 13x9" pan with non-stick spray and line with parchment paper, overhanging the long sides.
- Using a food processor, pulse cooled nuts and 1 cup of oats until a sandy consistency and no large pieces of oats remain. Transfer to a large bowl, along with the remaining cup of whole oats. To the same bowl stir in dried fruit and oil (chop any dried fruit bigger than a raisin).
- In a medium saucepan whisk together honey, salt and vanilla over medium heat until at a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 3 minutes until bubbling vigorously and smells like caramel.
- Add peanut butter to oat mixture along with the hot honey and stir to fully combine. By adding together, the hot honey will help melt the peanut butter. Whisk egg white in a small bowl and stir into oat mixture until fully incorporated.
- Scoop into prepared pan and pack down firmly and evenly. Using the bottom of a measuring cup helps to compact the mixture and get it flat.
- Bake until golden and no longer sticky 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before scoring into 16 pieces (2x8). Let cool completely in the pan before lifting out using the parchment overhang. Cut along score marks into bars.
-don't skimp on the amount of listed salt.
-I used a combination of almonds, pecans and cashews.
-cut bars can be wrapped and frozen, kept in a sealed container for up to 1 month.
-cut bars will last for about 5 days stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
-other nut butter such as almond butter work well too.