Meaty Black Bean Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce about 2 tbsp
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 680ml can tomato sauce
- 1 540ml can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup diced green pepper about 1 medium
- 1 cup diced onion about 1 small onion
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 540ml can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
- as needed sliced green onion
- as needed grated cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add ground beef and pork and cook until no longer pink and starting to brown, breaking up any large pieces. Stir in minced garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Scrape out seeds from the chipotle peppers and finely mince, use about two chili peppers with sauce to equal 2 tbsp or more depending how hot you want it. Add peppers to the pot along with beef broth, tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, green pepper, onion, spices, salt, and sugar. Stir well to combine.
- Reduce heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove lid and adjust consistency to your liking by adding more beef broth or simmering uncovered for a few minutes to evaporate some liquid. The chili will thicken slightly as it sits and cools.
- Stir in black beans and cook for 1-2 minutes to warm. Stir in cilantro just before serving and ladle into serving bowls. Garnish with cheddar cheese, green onion and additional cilantro.
-I found 1 cup of beef broth just about right for consistency. Adjust to your liking.
-This chili is even better when served the next day as the flavours have longer to meld.
-Makes about 9 cups of chili and freezes very well.