Slow Cooker Lentil and Ham Soup
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils
- 1 1/2 cups chopped white onion 1/4" dice
- 2 stalks celery, chopped 1/4" dice
- 2 large carrots, chopped 1/2" dice
- 2 cups chopped cabbage 1/2" dice
- 2 each garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or 1tsp dried
- 1 each bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 small meaty ham bone or smoked pork hock
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth divided
- as needed chopped fresh dill
- as needed sour cream
- to taste salt and pepper
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- Rinse and drain lentils. Add lentils along with onion, celery, carrots, cabbage, garlic, parsley, bay leaf, thyme to your slow cooker.
- Cut excess ham away from bone and save for later.
- Add ham bone and 7 cups of broth to slow cooker. Stir to combine, cover and cook on low for about 7 hours, stirring once or twice.
- While soup is cooking, coursely chop or shred ham. Cover and refrigerate until soup is ready.
- Remove ham bone and bay leaf from soup. Adjust consistency with the additional cup of broth. Stir in chopped ham and white vinegar. Cover and allow to cook for 5-10 more minutes to warm ham. Add a generous sprinkle of fresh dill and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and more fresh dill.
- a smoked pork hock will work in place of a meaty ham bone.
- for a vegetarian/vegan option, use vegetable broth and omit the ham and sour cream.