Roasted Vegetable Soup
- 2 1/2 cups peeled and trimmed parsnips cut 1" chunks about 4-5
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and trimmed carrots cut 1" chunks, about 3-4
- 1 medium peeled and cored apple cut 1" chunks
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups diced onion 1/4" dice
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 540ml can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2-3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup half and half cream
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss parsnips, carrots, apple and garlic with 1 tbsp oil. Spread out on a large baking tray in a single layer. Roast for 40 minutes flipping once after 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tbsp of oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add diced onion and saute until starting to soften, about 5-7 minutes (don't brown).
- To the pot add the roasted vegetables, chicken broth, beans, curry paste, and salt. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook on low for 30-40 minutes until everything is good and soft.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly 10-15 minutes. Puree mixture in a blender until smooth and silky. Return to pot and warm on low if needed. Stir in cream and white pepper. Adjust consistency to your liking with additional broth and season to taste with salt.
-letting the soup cool slightly before blending is not necessary, however, I find it a little safer than blending the scalding hot soup.
-the amount of salt needed will be dependent on the saltiness of your broth.
-makes about 8 cups of soup depending on your desired consistency.