Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli including stems
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3-3 1/2 cups chicken broth divided
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
- 1/2 cup potato flakes
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 cup milk I used 1%
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese plus more for garnish
- Cut stems off broccoli, cutting very close to the flowerettes. Separate flowerettes into small pieces. Set aside 3 cups of flowerettes. Using a vegetable peeler, lightly peel the thick skin from the thicker stem pieces, discard skin. Chop stems, along with any remaining flowerettes into 1/2" chunks.
- In a medium pot, heat butter over medium heat until foamy. Add shallots and garlic, cook until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chopped broccoli, 3 cups chicken broth and oregano. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until very tender, 15-20 minutes. Stir in potato flakes and Dijon mustard. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using a blender or submersion blender, blend soup until smooth. Return to pot, add milk and broccoli flowerettes. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook covered until flowerettes are tender, about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Adjust thickness with more broth if needed. Stir in cheese. Serve immediately garnished with additional cheese if desired.
-recipe yields 5 1/2- 6 cups.
-for vegetarian option, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
-if serving to guests, cook and cool 1 cup of flowerettes separately. Stir into soup to warm just before adding cheese. This provides wonderful colour and freshness.