Braised Boneless Short Ribs
- 2-2 1/2 pounds boneless short ribs cut into even pieces
- 2 cups beef broth preferably low sodium
- 1 1/2 cups port
- 1 cup diced canned tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup white or cremini mushrooms quartered
- 1/2 cup red onion medium dice
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- vegetabel oil as needed
- Preheat oven to 325℉. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Saute quartered mushrooms until golden and most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Combine 1/4 cup of flour with salt and pepper. Dredge each piece of meat in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Add enough oil to the dutch oven to cover the bottom. Heat to medium high and only when pan is hot add meat pieces and sear on all sides until well browned being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Do two patches if required. Remove meat from pan as they are finished and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions and garlic, sautéing 2-3 minutes until soft. Add port and stir to scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer and reduce liquid for 5 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, rosemary and bay leaf. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Cover and braise in oven for approximately 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove from oven and mix remaining flour with 2-3 Tbsp of cold water to make a slurry. Add mushrooms and slurry to the braise and stir to combine. Return to oven and continue braising for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and skim any visible fat from the top. Serve immediately with mashed potatoes.
Recipe Source: Compelled To Cook