Rustic Potato and Sausage Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 large links Italian sausage mild or spicy
- 1 cup diced white onion 1/2" dice
- 1 cup diced celery 1/4" slices
- 1 cup diced carrot 1/2" dice
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 litre chicken broth
- 12 ounces baby potatoes quartered or halved
- 1 cup canned tomatoes crushed
- 1 each bay leaf
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4-1/2 tsp kosher salt depending on broth
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped kale no stem, packed
- Over medium heat add 1 tbsp of olive to a large pot or dutch oven. Add sausage links and cook until golden and no longer pink, turning often about 15 minutes.
- Remove cooked sausage to a paper towel-lined dish to absorb any excess fat. To the same pot add remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic, sauté for 4-5 minutes until starting to soften and have sweat off some of their moisture.
- Pour in chicken broth and tomatoes crushed with your hands. Add potatoes, bay leaf, oregano, parsley, and both paprikas. Cover and simmer on low for about 10 minutes until potatoes are almost tender. While soup is cooking, chop kale and cooked sausage into bite-size pieces.
- Add kale and sausage to the pot and continue to cook partially covered for about 5 minutes until kale is cooked but still has some colour and bite. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately with crusty bread if desired.