Think carrot cake, only better! Parsnip Spice Cake is moist, nicely spiced and delicious with cream cheese icing.
Parsnips add an unexpected twist to this delicious cake, and while most people don’t think of adding parsnips to baked goods, it’s just like adding grated carrots. The parsnips have a naturally sweet nuttiness that comes out when they’re cooked. This flavour is also enhanced when combined with a little sugar and plenty of spice. It’s quite lovely!
I’ve gone and made the recipe into a 3 tier cake for presentation purposes, but the recipe can be simplified by making as one 9×13 cake. I’ve included preparation and baking methods for both. However you choose to make it, you won’t be disappointed.
Tips for great cake layers:
– weigh or measure the batter into each pan for uniform baking.
– line pans with a parchment circle so the cake comes out easily.
– don’t over bake.
– allow the cake to cool completely in the pan prior to removing.
– brush the layers with simple syrup to help keep the cake moist.
– if baking and using at a later date, wrap each layer individually and freeze for up to one month.
Author: Compelled to Cook, adapted from Parsnip Spice Cake with Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting