Prefer gluten free, but want crispy, golden panfried fish? Potato Crusted Halibut is a lovely, light entree that’s not only gluten free but a quick and easy weeknight meal that satisfies crispy cravings.
Potato flakes are a great alternative to bread crumbs or cracker crumbs in most instances. They fry up crisp just like bread crumbs, are neutral in taste and can take on herbs and spices, letting the flavour of your fish shine. For this recipe I used thin halibut fillets that cooked up flaky in minutes. I also served the Potato Crusted Halibut with my Tomato Relish, which is a wonderful, fresh accompaniment.
One of my goals for this blog was to showcase how potato flakes can be used as a coating/breading but also to point out that it’s not limited to fish or breading for that matter. It can be used most places that bread crumbs are used like breaded chicken cutlets, meatballs, salmon cakes or thickening soup like my Broccoli Cheddar Soup So maybe you’re looking for gluten free, or maybe just want a change? Remember potato flakes are for more than just mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
Recipe source for Potato Crusted Halibut: Compelled To Cook
- 4 4-5 ounce halibut fillets or other mild white fish
- as needed salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup potato flakes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried parsley or basil optional
- Pat fish fillets dry with a paper towel and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Whisk eggs together in a shallow bowl.
- Add potato flakes to a separate shallow bowl and season with dried herbs if desired, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a medium size non stick skillet until hot over medium heat.
- Dunk one fish fillet into eggs to coat evenly, then place into potato flakes. Flip to coat evenly on both sides. Add to hot pan and repeat with remaining fish fillets. Panfry for 2-3 minutes per side until golden. Remove from pan and serve immediately with Tomato Relish or your favourite tartar sauce.
-Be sure to use potato flakes and not the ground potato meal as typically used for boxed instant mashed potatoes. I found the potato flakes at my local bulk barn.
-Serve with Tomato Relish
-The thickness of your halibut may vary from mine, which were on the thinner side. Thicker fillets may require 30-60 seconds more cooking per side.