Wilted Spinach Tomato Salad gives you fresh spinach at its finest, warmed ever so slightly with hot bacon but still light and bright. Zingy with mustard dressing and satisfying with croutons and cheese. Fantastic as it is, but add your favourite grilled chicken or shrimp for a great meal.
As with many fresh greens, spinach is packed with nutrients like vitamin K, A, C, magnesium and iron…..to name a few. Get your “Popeye on” the delicious way with this bacon infused bowl of goodness. Wilted Spinach Tomato Salad is a great addition to your summer salad line up. Enjoy!
Recipe Source for Wilted Spinach Tomato Salad: Compelled To Cook
- 4 ounces crustless french bread cut into 1" chunks
- 1 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- sprinkle sea salt
- sprinkle cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp whole grain mustard
- 2 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 ounces bacon about 4 slices chopped
- 3 tbsp bacon fat
- 1 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes large ones cut in half
- 7 ounces cleaned and trimmed spinach
- 1 1/2 ounces shaved asiago cheese
- pinch sea salt
- pinch cracked black pepper
- as needed fresh dill coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350℉. In a large bowl toss together bread cubes, dill, salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil and toss until evenly coated. Spread out in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes, turning once. Remove from oven and set aside until ready to use.
- Place spinach in a large bowl. Whisk together mustard, apple cider vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium size skillet fry bacon until starting to crisp and most of the fat has rendered. Scoop out bacon with a slotted spatula to a paper towel lined plate, leaving approximately 3 tbsp of bacon fat in the pan. In same pan over medium heat sauté garlic in bacon fat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add red onion and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in cherry tomatoes and cook, tossing often for 1 minute. Pour in dressing and add bacon, stir to combine Pour over spinach while hot and toss to coat the spinach. Season with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Garnish with shaved cheese, croutons and fresh dill. Serve immediately.
Add grilled shrimp or chicken for a complete meal. Makes 6-8 side servings or 4 main course servings.