Cheers and Happy Father’s day to my dad, who simply called it beer and clam. Little did I know as a youth that his afternoon summertime drink actually had a name. The Michelada is a Mexican cocktail with many variations, and while I’m no expert in this area, I do know you’ll love this Zesty Michelada with Clamato juice and spice just as my own father enjoyed his “beer and clam”.
Although a little spicy and salty, the Zesty Michelada is quite thirst quenching and goes down easy on a hot day. For those who aren’t familiar with the original Clamato juice, it’s basically a blend of tomato juice, spices and clam juice. You may think clam juice and beer is an odd combination, and I suppose it kinda is. Yet the clam gives it a bit of brininess that makes it perfectly “slurpable” over a chili spiced salted rim.
Don’t forget about the garnish either! It’s a cocktail that can balance all you can through at it. I personally like shrimp and celery but go on and try chunks of spicy sausage, cherry tomatoes and or lime. I think a little wedge of cheese could also work. There’s no rules and that’s the fun of it, so enjoy!
Recipe source for Zesty Michelada inspired by Fox Valley Foodie Authentic Michelada
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 each zest of one lime
- 1 1/2 cups Clamato juice
- 2 355ml Modelo or Corona Beer
- 1/2- 1 tsp Franks hot sauce
- 1 each juice of one lime
- 1 1/2 tsp Maggie seasoning
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- In a flat shallow dish combine salt, chili powder and lime zest. Cut one wedge out of the whole lime and run along the rim of 4 tall beer glasses to wet the edge. Dip each glass rim into salt to rim the edge. Set aside.
- Measure Clamato juice into a 2 cup liquid measure and add lime juice from remaining lime, hot sauce, Maggie seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine. Fill the salt rimmed glasses 1/3 full of ice and pour Clamato mixture equally between glasses and top with beer. Garnish as desired and serve immediately.