Mini Cornmeal Sausages with Creamy Honey Mustard
Whether it’s Grey Cup, Super Bowl or simply having pals over to watch fight night, Mini Cornmeal Sausages with Creamy Honey Mustard are a man’s dream snack, aside from chicken wings of course. It’s pretty hard not to like battered and fried meat on a stick. They’re fun and easy to make, and crazy good to eat.
Let me start by saying, these aren’t your typical mini corn dog. They’re made with cocktail sausages which gives them a meatier texture and better flavour than a regular hot dog. The cocktail sausages that I used were a double smoked and triple cheese flavour. Both amazing wrapped up in a cornmeal batter. I also like the cocktail sausage because they’re a perfect size at 2” long, so there’s no cutting required and it makes them a great two-bite appetizer.
The creamy honey mustard sauce has a subtle tang and a hint of sweetness. So good, crispy and warm right out of the hot oil and dunked in sauce. No special equipment needed either, just a pot and a thermometer. I own a deep fryer that has a removable basin for easy clean up, but in reality, nothing cleans up easier than a single pot. So there’s really no excuse not to make these yummy Mini Cornmeal Sausages with Creamy Honey Mustard. So go on and get your pals over, because this recipe makes about 48 and you’ll want to share. Enjoy!
Author: Compelled To Cook
- as needed canola or peanut oil
- 48 mini cocktail sausages
- 48 6" bamboo skewers
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk I used 1%
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl. Keep chilled until ready to use.
- Using a pot or dutch oven, add enough oil to come up at least 3". Clip a high-temperature thermometer to the side of the pot so the tip is submerged but not touching the bottom. Heat oil to 350℉.
- While the oil is heating, skewer the cocktail sausages. Whisk together remaining ingredients for batter until just combined yet smooth. Pour batter into a large, tall glass to aid in dipping sausages. (see note)
- When the oil is hot, dip sausages into batter one at a time, coating completely. Add to hot oil and cook for 2-2 1/2 minutes per side until golden. Repeat with remaining sausages. Depending on the size of your pot, you'll be able to cook 6-8 at a time.
- Remove with tongs to a paper towel lined plate to drain excess fat. Serve immediately with Creamy Honey Mustard.
-use a deep fryer if desired.
-I found cocktail sausages at Costco.
-pour batter into a large, tall glass to aid in dipping the sausages if desired. Because they're only 2" long, using a bowl will work fine.
-if you want to cook half now and half later in the day to always eat them fresh and crispy, simply cover and refrigerate unused batter and re-whisk prior to using.