This a casserole that I’ve made time and time again. I love it because it makes enough for six people or provides plenty of leftovers, which is important for me as a shift worker. It’s also a comforting, family-style meal that is fantastic served over mashed potatoes. Stroganoff Meatballs is a great fall/winter recipe that you’ll want to make over and over.
For this recipe, you’ll notice that I insist you use a beef soup base such as Knorr OXO Beef in a Mug and not regular beef bouillon powder. This is not a sponsored post, but I’ve tried both beef bouillon cubes and regular beef bouillon powder. They just don’t have the same beef flavour that the soup base does, and it makes all the difference. I do hate to be so particular on an ingredient, but for this recipe I must insist that you use beef soup base such as Knorr OXO Beef in a Mug. It’s worth the little bit of fuss, enjoy!
Author: Compelled to Cook, adapted from Companys Coming Casseroles cookbook 1985.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- 14 ounces mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup Knorr OXO Beef in a Mug soup base see note
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 284ml can cream of mushroom soup I use Campbells
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried parsley or 1 tbsp fresh
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix until incorporated. Roll into 1-ounce meatballs (about 2 tbsp each) and arrange on a large baking tray lined with parchment. Will yield about 38 meatballs.
- Bake for 15 minutes and remove from oven. Reduce heat to 350°F.
- While meatballs are cooking, heat oil in a large dutch oven. Add sliced mushrooms and sauté until most of the liquid has evaporated and starting to brown.
- Add 2 cups water and OXO soup base and heat to a simmer, stirring to dissolve. Whisk together the cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water. Add to pot, whisking constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and whisk in mushroom soup until smoothed out. Stir in sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, paprika and pepper.
- Add meatballs to the sauce and stir gently to coat with sauce. Cover and bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately over noodles, rice or potatoes.
-It is a must to use beef soup base (preferably Knorr OXO Beef in a Mug) I have tried to use regular beef bouillon cubes and powder, however, they do not have the same level of beef flavour and are not recommended for this recipe.
-Meatballs can be made and cooked up to a day ahead. Keep covered and chilled until ready to use. Cook casserole for 40-45 minutes if using cold meatballs.