Beef Tenderloin with Green Peppercorn Sauce
Today I am compelled to shop for my food on Amazon to make this wonderful green peppercorn sauce. I will admit that I shop on Amazon quite frequently but rarely has it been for food. Like most busy people I’ve always tried to stay away from fussy and hard to find food items. But do we really need to deprive ourselves of what we really want to cook because we can’t find a product locally? I think not!!
I did my due diligence and checked several grocery stores, the local kitchen ware store and a specialty food store before heading to the computer. Green peppercorns in brine are not as elusive as the unicorn but certainly no where to be found in my general area! So to Amazon I went, and click click click, done….peppercorns ordered and delivered to my door. Now that was easy! I would love to support the local economy as much as the rest of you but I am frustrated from time to time at my limitations simply because I can’t find a specific food item/ingredient. Since my local stores fail to carry such items I am left with no choice but to go elsewhere.
I do hope you give this recipe a try because it’s delicious and fantastic for company or a special evening. I hope even more that you can find the green peppercorns in brine locally but mostly I hope you never turn away from something because you can’t find it in your area. Today’s online shopping opens the door to many products not often found for some of us, so I say you shouldn’t have to shy away from what you want to cook. Maybe it is that easy…..I believe it is.
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 1 1/2" thick beef tenderloin steaks
- 1/4 cup shallots
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 3/4 cup beef broth preferably low sodium
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp green peppercorns in brine lightly crushed
- cracked black pepper to taste
- course salt to taste
- Season steaks with salt and pepper. In a medium size stainless steel skillet over medium high heat melt 1 Tbsp butter until foamy. Add steaks and cook for approximately 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove steaks and cover with foil.
- In same skillet melt remaining 1 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add brandy, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the pan, cook for 1 minute. Add beef broth and cook over medium high heat until reduced by half, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and continue cooking to reduce by half, approximately 5 minutes. Add crushed peppercorns in brine and cracked black pepper.
- Arrange steaks on plate and spoon sauce over top. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Recipe Source: Adapted from Tasting Table, Green Peppercorn Sauce