Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
Not a fan of brussels sprouts? You’re not alone! But there’s bacon, so you might have to rethink your position on this one. Sautéed Brussels Sprouts are shredded into wispy slices, sautéed with shallots and tossed with bacon and pine nuts. Simple to toss together at the last minutes and wonderful with roasted meats.
So, does everything taste better with bacon? In this case it’s a solid YES and if it’s the only way to get everyone to eat brussels sprouts then it’s a win win situation. Brussels sprouts are part of the cabbage family and actually look like cute little baby cabbages. They are high in vitamins C, A , K and potassium. Also delicious roasted or grilled and should not to be overlooked for a holiday side dish or nestled next to your roast pork.
I love this recipe because the overall texture is light yet bacon and pine nuts add crunch and a little salty chew. Lemon and apple cider vinegar help to brighten and balance the dish. Enjoy!
Recipe Source: Adapted from Epicurious Shaved Brussels Sprout and Shallot Sauté
- 1 pound brussels sprouts trimmed and cleaned
- 5 ounces bacon diced
- 1 cup shallots thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cups pine nuts toasted
- to taste cracked black pepper
- to taste cracked sea salt
- Using a food processor fitted with a thin slicing blade, add brussels sprouts a few at a time, creating thin wispy slices. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook bacon until most of the fat has rendered and the bacon is starting to crisp. Scoop out bacon onto a paper towel lined plate, leaving approximately 2 tbsp of fat in the skillet. Over medium heat add shallots and cook stirring frequently until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Add minced garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Stir in brussels sprouts and continue to cook until starting to soften, about 7-8 minutes. Add lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and pine nuts. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.