Italian Turkey Burgers with Basil Mayonnaise
Are you compelled to treat the special father in your life to a BBQ this weekend? Get your grill on for these flavourful and juicy Italian Turkey Burgers with Basil Mayonnaise. Not only is a BBQ synonymous with summer, it also resonates fun, sunshine, time with family and community spirit. These wonderful burgers will be sure to impress yet leave you time to spend with friends and family.
In this recipe the Italian sausage adds some much needed fat to the lean ground turkey, giving the burger more flavour and moisture. The sausage by its own nature also brings spices such as fennel, garlic, and oregano to the mixture. The basil mayonnaise adds a refreshing creaminess to the burger and creates a wonderful combination.
Be sure to mix thoroughly so the Italian sausage is evenly distributed, however you still need to take care not to over mix. By making a shallow indentation in the center of each patty it will help prevent it from shrinking too much and leave a uniformly round patty. thekitchn.com has a great blog demonstrating patty forming and whether or not the indentation actually matters.
Make the most of your sunny weekend and treat dad to the BBQ he deserves with Italian Turkey Burgers with Basil Mayonnaise.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 454 grams ground turkey
- 340 grams bulk Italian Sausage
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/3 cup red pepper finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- canola oil as needed
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp chives finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- In a small bowl whisk together egg, onion powder, garlic powder, dry mustard, pepper and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl gently mix together ground turkey, Italian sausage, onion, red pepper and parsley. Add egg mixture and breadcrumbs and mix with hands until well combined.
- Form into approximately 4- 41/2 ounce patties 1/2 inch thick, making an indent in the center of each patty.
- Preheat grill to medium high. Lightly brush each patty with oil and grill for approximately 5 minutes per side or until 170℉ is reached. Remove from grill and serve with Basil Mayonnaise.
- In a small bowl whisk together all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.
Recipe Source: Compelled To Cook