The new year is upon us…
Many of us are thinking of eating healthier, and I’m a firm believer that eating well and eating foods you enjoy should go hand in hand. Rustic Potato and Sausage Soup is guilt-free comfort food that’s loaded with kale and vegetables. It’s a homey soup that’s warming and hearty with a rich tomato laced chicken broth, tender baby potatoes, Italian sausage and vegetables. Paprika, garlic, and fresh herbs give added depth of flavour to this rustic, chunky soup.
Healthy potatoes, rich in potassium and vitamin C add fibre with their skins and a rustic earthiness. Tender kale, also rich in nutrients, gently clings to all it surrounds for a wonderful spoonful. It’s the best of both worlds, being hearty and comforting while still being healthy, satisfying, and full of flavour. So even if eating better is not on your resolution list this year, you’ll still want a big bowl of this satisfying soup. Enjoy!
Author: Compelled to Cook
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 large links Italian sausage mild or spicy
- 1 cup diced white onion 1/2" dice
- 1 cup diced celery 1/4" slices
- 1 cup diced carrot 1/2" dice
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 litre chicken broth
- 12 ounces baby potatoes quartered or halved
- 1 cup canned tomatoes crushed
- 1 each bay leaf
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4-1/2 tsp kosher salt depending on broth
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped kale no stem, packed
- Over medium heat add 1 tbsp of olive to a large pot or dutch oven. Add sausage links and cook until golden and no longer pink, turning often about 15 minutes.
- Remove cooked sausage to a paper towel-lined dish to absorb any excess fat. To the same pot add remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic, sauté for 4-5 minutes until starting to soften and have sweat off some of their moisture.
- Pour in chicken broth and tomatoes crushed with your hands. Add potatoes, bay leaf, oregano, parsley, and both paprikas. Cover and simmer on low for about 10 minutes until potatoes are almost tender. While soup is cooking, chop kale and cooked sausage into bite-size pieces.
- Add kale and sausage to the pot and continue to cook partially covered for about 5 minutes until kale is cooked but still has some colour and bite. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately with crusty bread if desired.
This soup looks absolutely incredible. So appetising and delicious, I cannot wait to make it. Thank you for sharing!
Thank you so much Ramona! I’d love to hear your feedback when you make it, enjoy!
This looks so beautiful, such an inviting atmosphere in these photos! The recipe sounds delicious too, of course! Thanks for sharing. 🙂
I appreciate you visiting my site and I thank you for the lovely comment? If you get a chance to make the soup, I’d love to know your thoughts on it.