Recently I treated myself with a 3 piece pasta attachment set for my Kitchenaid stand mixer, and I’m wondering why it took me so long. Let’s start by saying I have the tendency to be on the frugal side and there always seemed to be something more important to spend a couple hundred bucks on. I did give some consideration to the less expensive counter top hand roller for a fraction of the price, but I’m also on the fussy side. I wanted what I wanted, so this little item on my wish list sat on the back burner. But now I have it, and I’m thrilled to share with you Shrimp and Pesto Pasta.
Of course you can make pasta by hand, and that’s a blog post in itself, but the convenience and ease of the roller and cutters is undeniably great! It makes having fresh pasta simple and easy. One of the first dishes to get pumped out of my new set is a simple and delicious Shrimp and Pesto Pasta. Certainly not a unique combination, but worthy of being a regular on your weeknight plate because of how quick it comes together once the pasta has been rolled.
Once you get the feel for making fresh pasta, you can experiment with different flavours, flours and shapes. It’s so much fun to be creative and even better when you get to savour the results.
Recipe source for Shrimp and Pesto Pasta: Compelled To Cook
- 6 ounces fettuccini pasta see note
- 10 ounces shrimp, tail removed and cleaned I used 31-40 per pound size
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup pesto see note
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Season 3 litres of water with 1 1/2 tbsps of kosher salt and bring to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and reserve 1/4 cup of cooking liquid. If using fresh pasta, cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and reserve 1/4 cup of cooking liquid.
- Dab shrimp dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. In a medium sauté pan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shrimp and garlic and cook for approximately 2 minutes per side until shrimp curl and turn opaque. Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
- Add pesto and 2-3 tbsp of pasta cooking liquid to the same skillet over low heat just to warm, stirring once or twice. Add cooked pasta and toss to coat. Toss in shrimp to warm and combine. Serve immediately, garnishing with parmesan cheese.
Fresh pesto and pasta is best, however store bought may be used if desired. You'll find recipes below for fresh Classic Pesto and fresh fettuccini pasta.