Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Pasta
Weeknight cooking may seem daunting at times when trying to juggle feeding your family, appointments and activities. It doesn’t have to be complicated, some of the best dishes are quick and simply. Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Pasta with Chicken is a fantastic combination of garlic, sun-dried tomato pesto and cream. This gloriously creamy pasta dish is a perfect family meal yet delicious enough for company.
I enjoy boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe but you can easily use boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead if that is your preference. Shrimp is also a fantastic combination as well. Or skip the protein all together for a great meatless meal option. Using store bought sun-dried tomato pesto helps to make this recipe quick and easy. There are plenty of brands out there to choose from and I cannot say that one is better than the other is, so find one you like and keep it at the ready. You’ll want this gorgeous dish on repeat!!
Author: Compelled to Cook
Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Pasta with Chicken
- 10 ounces fettuccine
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs 3-4 depending on size
- as needed salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomato pesto
- as needed freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions in well-salted water. Drain well, reserving a cup of pasta water.
- While the pasta is cooking, season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add chicken and cook until browned on both sides and cooked through. About 5-6 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken to a clean dish and cover it with aluminum foil to keep it warm.
- To the same skillet add the minced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes over low heat.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine, scraping up the browned bits left in the pan and allow the wine to reduce slightly.
- Add chicken broth, stir and reduce for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream and reduce for 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Add sun-dried tomato pesto and stir over low heat until combined. Remove from heat.
- Slice cooked chicken into strips.
- Add chicken and pasta to the sauce and toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and a generous splash of pasta water. Toss to combine well over low heat.
- Serve immediately with extra Parmesan cheese if desired.