Spiced Peach Crepes
When life gives you peaches, reach for the spiced rum! A little booze never hurt the dessert and these Spiced Peach Crepes are happy for a little drink. Fresh peaches, sugar, spices and a little rum all nestled together in a tender sweet crepe. Served warm with a drizzle of caramel and a scoop of ice cream .….oh my!
I will admit taking photographs of this dessert tested my composure, with melty ice-cream and oozy caramel sauce, I went through several crepes and many paper towel. Not to mention my lack of peaches for the picture itself. Although I had a nice basket of peaches for the recipe, I failed to have enough left over for photos. Even though I try hard to have everything I need, all the time, for every recipe, for every picture, it’s just not possible. And who am I kidding? I regularly run to the grocery store for this or that. That’s when I appreciate living in a small town, no traffic jams, freeways or row upon row of lights. So when I’m just not as organized as I think I am, I don’t feel so bad.
I love these Spiced Peach Crepes because they’re a lovely use of fresh peaches, fantastic with vanilla ice cream, not too heavy and, did I mention the rum! Enjoy!
Recipe Source: Compelled To Cook
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp melted unsalted butter divided
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- 4 cups fresh peach slices about 7 peaches
- 1/4 cup spiced rum
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- Combine all ingredients, using 2 tbsp of melted butter in a blender and blend until smooth and frothy, approximately 1 minute. Allow to rest at room temperature for a half an hour prior to using.
- Heat an 8" non stick pan over medium heat. When hot, brush with melted butter. Add approximately 40ml of crepe batter to the pan, swirl immediately creating a 6-7" crepe. Allow to cook for 1-1 1/2 minutes. Using a rubber spatula flip crepe over and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Slide out of pan onto plate. Repeat with remaining batter to create 12 crepes. Crepes can be stacked upon themselves.
- Peel peaches and cut in half. Remove stone and cut each half into thick slices. In a medium size sauce pan combine sliced peaches with rum, sugar, vanilla and spices. Cook over medium heat until sugar has dissolved and peach slices have started to soften, about 7-8 minutes. Combine orange juice with cornstarch and add all at once to the peaches, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a simmer and has thickened. Remove from heat and allow filling to cool down to a warm state.
- Lay one crepe on a flat surface and place 1/4 cup of spiced peaches in a slight line along the center of the crepe. Fold the bottom 1/3 of the crepe over the filling, press along filling to flatten slightly and move filling toward the outer edge. Fold top 1/3 of crepe down over the bottom, creating a long rectangle with open ends. Gently place on plate, seam side down. Repeat with remaining crepes and filling to create 12 crepes. Serve 2 per plate and drizzle with caramel sauce and top with vanilla ice cream.
Crepes and filling can be made one day ahead and kept covered and chilled until ready to use. To serve warm, allow crepes to come to room temperature and warm peach filling over low heat until just warm. Assemble crepes and serve immediately.