Fresh Asparagus Toast
I read recently that fresh raw asparagus is underrated! I believe this observation is very true. So if you’re lucky to have a bundle or two, let Fresh Asparagus Toast entice you to discover all that fresh raw asparagus can offer. The first hurdle for me to eating raw asparagus is the fact that fresh asparagus is simply not a staple vegetable in my crisper drawer for most of the year. For me, those crisp spears are not something you reach for to munch on like a stick of celery or carrot. Second, when I do have a bundle or two of fresh asparagus I’m always cooking it by default….delicious in its own right, but still cooked. So let’s look at a new way!
Fresh Asparagus Toast will change the way you view your asparagus. Not only does fresh raw asparagus make a quick, healthy lunch, it’s surprisingly addictive with a bright zesty lemon dressing. This magical combination is the perfect balance with salty cheese, avocado and crisp sprouts. If you’ve never had raw asparagus, it’s time, and you’ll be wondering why you haven’t done it sooner. Enjoy!
Recipe Source: Compelled To Cook
- 1/2 cup feta cheese coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus more for toast
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp minced shallot about 1/2 a large shallot
- generous pinch course salt
- generous pinch course black pepper
- 1 pound fresh asparagus cleaned but untrimmed
- 8 slices rustic multi grain bread
- 1/2 large ripe avocado pitted and peeled
- as needed sprouts of choice
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts optional, see note
- In a medium bowl mash feta and cream cheese together using a fork until well combined but some little bits remain of the feta. Set aside. (avocado is added at the end to avoid oxidization)
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, shallots, salt and pepper. Set aside. Peel asparagus into thin strips by holding the bottom woody portion of the spear and using a vegetable peeler, peel towards the tip in one motion. Continue to peel off thin strips until the spear is too flat and the peeler won't dig in. Turn what's left of the spear onto its side and continue to peel once or twice. You should be left with 1-2" of woody stem that was used as the handle. Discard this unused portion. In a medium size bowl toss together shaved asparagus and dressing. Set aside.
- Turn oven to broil and position oven rack to 8" from the top. Brush each bread slice with olive oil and arrange on a baking sheet. Broil for 2-3 minutes until just starting to turn golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes. While toast is cooling, mash avocado into cheese until incorporated. For each piece of bread, spread with a generous 2 tbsp of cheese spread, top with 1/4 cup of asparagus, top with your favourite sprouts or micro greens and a sprinkle of pine nuts. Add freshly cracked pepper if desired and serve immediately.
Toast pine nuts in a single layer in a 350℉ oven for 10-12 minutes. Can omit or substitute in toasted almond slices if desired.