Tuna Noodle Casserole
Tuna Noodle Casserole
Tuna Noodle Casserole is one of my favourite family casseroles. It has just the right ratio of noodles to sauce and is topped with buttery panko breadcrumbs. It’s also cheesy, hearty and comforting and a one scoop meal with the peas baked right in. It does take a little extra time to make the sauce, cook the noodles and bake, so I would say it’s a nice weekend casserole. The recipe is simple and uses everyday ingredients, which means there are no unnecessary trips to the grocery store. The kids will love it and you’ll likely get leftovers as it makes a 9”x13” pan.
Be sure not to overcook the noodles as they will continue to cook slightly while baking in the sauce. I will generally cook them a minute or two less than the package instructions. To save time and be efficient, I like to start cooking the sauce while the water comes to a boil and the noodles cook. Get the kids helping by grating cheese and flaking the tuna. Enjoy!
Here’s more great casserole recipes…
Author: Compelled to Cook, adapted from Food Wishes
- 12 ounces large egg noodles 340g bag
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 litre hot milk
- 1 284ml can cream of mushroom soup I used Campbell's
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese about 7 ounces
- 2 cans tuna, drained and flaked
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook noodles for slightly less time than package instructions so they are al dente (firm to the bite). Drain well.
- While noodles are cooking, melt the 1/4 cup of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until combined. Slowly add a cup of hot milk whisking constantly until the mixture is smooth and starts to bubble. Continue adding hot milk and whisking until all the milk has been added and the mixture is smooth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, whisking often.
- Remove sauce from heat and whisk in mushroom soup, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Stir in half of the cheddar cheese, tuna, and peas until combined. Add drained noodles and stir to evenly coat.
- Spray a 9"x13" casserole dish with non-stick spray and pour casserole into the dish, spreading out evenly. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Stir together breadcrumbs, melted butter, parsley and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Spread evenly over casserole and bake on the centre rack for 35-40 minutes until bubbly and the top is golden. Remove from oven and serve immediately.