What’s your favourite summer slaw? I’m partial to a classic creamy coleslaw, so I immediately fell in love with Wasabi Slaw. It has all the creaminess of a mayonnaise-based dressing and the crunch of cool, crisp cabbage but it is set apart by the addition of wasabi. The earthy heat melds with the creamy dressing and gives just the right amount of punch. My perfect punchy heat may be different than yours, so add a little wasabi or add a lot.
For a crisp coleslaw, mix the dressing in advance but don’t add it to the cabbage until ready to serve. Keeping all ingredients cold before and after mixing will also help maintain a wonderful crunch. Enjoy!
Other summer salads you’ll love…
Fennel and Shrimp Potato Salad
Author: Compelled to Cook
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp wasabi paste or to taste
- 4 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 6 cups thinly shredded cabbage slightly packed
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, wasabi, vinegar, salt and pepper. Allow the dressing to sit refrigerated for at least 10 minutes or until ready to use to allow sugar to completely dissolve.
- In a large bowl toss together cabbage, carrots and green onion.
- Stir in dressing and serve immediately for a crisp coleslaw. .
The coleslaw with soften as it sits so it is best served immediately after adding dressing. It can be made a couple of hours ahead and tossed before serving if needed.