Whole Wheat Peach Streusel Muffins
These naughty but nice Whole Wheat Peach Streusel Muffins are perfect for back to school. They have minimal added sugar, are made with whole wheat flour and pureed peaches for a healthy-ish muffin. The streusel topping and juicy peach chunks keep it being the muffin you want to eat or send in your child’s lunch, without the guilt.
Muffins are not only a great item to add to breakfast or brunch, but also great as a snack. They come together easily, freeze well and are a must to have on hand whether you pack lunches or not.
Tips for great muffins:
*DO NOT OVERMIX! I really can’t stress this enough. Once the flour is added to the wet ingredients in any quick bread recipe, the batter only needs to be mixed enough to incorporate the ingredients. Any more mixing than that will start to develop the gluten in the flour. The result will be tough muffins or loaves.
*Divide batter evenly into the muffin tins to ensure the muffins bake uniformly and evenly.
*Don’t overbake! Bake just long enough that they spring back when lightly touched or a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Overbaked muffins will be dry and dense.
* Bake muffins on the middle oven rack for even baking without scorched bottoms or tops that are too dark.
*Use muffins liners or a well-greased muffin tin to prevent the muffins from sticking. Nobody wants to fight with trying to unstick a dozen muffins only to have bits of muffin stuck to the pan anyway. It’s just a waste of perfectly good muffin bits.
*Allow the muffins to cool for at least 5-10 minutes before trying to remove from the pan. This will prevent any “squishing” mishaps that are likely to happen when trying to pull them out while they are hot and soft.
Now is the time that fresh peaches are abundant, so enjoying these delicious Whole Wheat Peach Streusel Muffins is a must.
Author: Compelled to Cook
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter about 2 ounces
- 3 tbsp oatmeal
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 4 medium ripe peaches divided
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined and crumbly. Set aside.
- Set oven rack to the centre and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or line a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Peel peaches and remove stone. Chop two of the peaches into 1/2" chunks and set aside. Puree the remaining two peaches using a blender or food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together oil and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking after each until incorporated.
- Stir in sour cream, pureed peaches and vanilla. Whisk in dry ingredients until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in chopped peaches.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle each muffin with a generous tbsp of streusel topping.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool at least 5-10 minutes prior to removing from muffin tin. Remove to a cooling rack to cool completely or eat while warm.