Breakfast couldn’t be any better…
I can call this Ultimate Chocolate Almond Granola for two main reasons. One, because it verges on being sinful with lots of almonds and chocolate. The second, because it has the most amazing crunchy clusters. It’s absolutely delicious with yogurt or almond milk. Toss on a few fresh berries and breakfast couldn’t be any better.
Yes, it’s made with sweetened condensed milk!
You might think the sweetened condensed milk is over the top to use for granola, but I’m here to tell you it’s what makes this granola cluster up so well. It’s not nearly as sweet in the overall granola as you might think either. In fact, I find this amazing Chocolate Almond Granola has just the perfect hint of sweetness.
Let’s have a closer look at the overall sugar content since we are using something different from the more commonly used maple syrup or honey. The overall sugar content is slightly less than if made with maple syrup and/or honey. Sweetened condensed milk contains 11grams of sugar per tablespoon, whereas maple syrup contains 12grams and honey has 17grams. So overall the total grams of sugar is less than if you used the same amount of honey or maple syrup. The downfall is that sweetened condensed milk contains some refined sugar along with its natural lactose, whereas honey and maple syrup are natural sugars. But I’m here to tell you, this granola is amazing and you’ll want to eat it straight from the jar. Enjoy!
Author: Compelled to Cook
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 4 cups old fashioned or large flake oatmeal
- 1 cup chopped almonds and/or sliced almonds any kind
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chocolate covered almonds and/or chopped chocolate
- Preheat oven to 275℉.
- In a medium saucepan combine almond butter and coconut oil. Heat over low, stirring often until smooth and melted together.
- In a large bowl stir together oatmeal, almonds, cocoa and salt.
- Pour melted almond butter over oatmeal and stir to combine. Add sweetened condensed milk and stir until fully incorporated.
- Spread out evenly onto a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle on chopped chocolate and/or chopped chocolate covered almonds and stir. Return to oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely at room temperature before breaking apart into clusters. (granola will firm up as it cools)
- Store granola in an airtight container at room temperature or freeze for up to a month.
I like to use a combination of chopped whole almonds and sliced almonds along with chopped chocolate covered almonds and chopped semi-sweet chocolate. Feel free to use whatever kind of almonds and chocolate you like, they're all delicious.