Got a bounty of zucchini? Zucchini Spinach Bisque is earthy, velvety, and topped with tomato herb cream, making it easy to eat healthy. Not only is this soup simple to prepare, it’s a great way to whittle down your crop. There’s no doubt you will be inundate your family with zucchini bread, cake, muffins and the like just to use it all up. I too am a fan of moist zucchini quick breads so there’s no doubt that I will participate this fall in the onslaught of zucchini treats.
Today however, I feel the zucchini needs to come out of the shadows of flour, sugar and chocolate chips. Here the zucchini is front and center, thick and luscious. No cream, no flour, just a sprinkling of rice to lend body. The tomato herb cream brightens and cuts through all the earthiness to create the perfect spoonful.
Zucchini and spinach are low in calories but high in fibre, vitamin C and vitamin A, making this soup healthy and nutritious. I love this recipe because it’s simple, nutritious and a warming way to use zucchini. Enjoy!
Recipe Source: Inspired by Williams-Sonoma Zucchini Puree with Oregano Cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 30 ounces zucchini halved and thinly sliced
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 ounces frozen spinach thawed and drained
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- 2 tbsp white rice
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 medium tomato seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 tsp chives finely chopped
- 1/2 each fresh lime juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot or dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring occasionally until soft. Add garlic and 1 tsp salt and continue to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Add zucchini and cook, stirring often until starting to soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients, cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using an emersion blender, blend until smooth. Adjust consistency by adding a little more stock if required. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately topped with Tomato Herb Cream.
- In a small bowl stir together all ingredient and season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.